"It's massive. This is an opportunity for eSports to overflow into the mainstream media."

It is clear John Jackson is looking forward to the Commonwealth eSports Championships taking place in Birmingham this weekend.

Short for electronic sports - it allows people to compete at video games.

ESports is being piloted at the Commonwealth Games for the first time this year, with the tournament taking place on 6 and 7 August.

Mr Jackson, who is Wales team manager and chief executive of eSports Wales, hopes the event will showcase new talent.

Esports club looks for female members
Commonwealth Games trial an 'opportunity'
Peachy Bell, 22, from Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire, is part of the team - she has been gaming since 2018 and has completed about 3,000 hours of game time.

It may sound like a lot, but not when you consider pros have amassed tens of thousands of hours.

"I never though it would be like this. They were like you 'never know one day it might at the Olympics'," she said.

"That is so weird. It is a weird concept but it's becoming more normalised now.

"You used to have events just for eSports and not joining in with more physical activities, it is a bit crazy.

"I think it's definitely a good thing. People judge you when you say 'I want to play this professionally' but if you have things like the Commonwealth behind you, then it becomes a more viable thing that people want to get into professionally."