Thread: Young people turned away from follow up vaccine jabs despite having appointments

Young people turned away from follow up vaccine jabs despite having appointments

Around 30 young people had a wasted trip to the mass vaccine centre on Fabian Way, Swansea last weekend

Dozens of people were turned away from a mass vaccination centre after being told they couldn't attend their appointments, despite having been sent letters telling them to attend.

'At least' 30 young people were refused their appointment at the Bay Field Hospital on Fabian Way over last weekend, when responding to notification of their appointments sent to them by Swansea Bay University Health Board.

Instead, despite many having travelled some distance, they were told in error to return the following weekend.

One parent said: "I'm keen for my son to be fully vaccinated because it's sensible and an effective way to combat covid.

"So even though the timing of the appointment was inconvenient I made sure I got him there - it wasn't easy as he wanted to go out with friends.

"I drove more than six miles to get there, and showed staff on the door our appointment letter.

"But they told us we couldn't be seen. They said letters had been sent out with the incorrect dates and were steadfast that we wouldn't be let in, despite having travelled that distance and having our appointment letters.

"To say it was frustrating was an understatement. My son wasn't happy at all at being dragged away only to be told he would have to do it all over again next week".

Swansea Bay University Health Board have acknowledged the error and have launched an investigation into why it had happened.

Executive director of public health Keith Reid said:

“We understand that at least 30 young people were turned away in error over the Saturday and Sunday and we are really sorry about this.

"I wish to apologise to those young people who were turned away from the vaccination centre at the weekend after responding to an invitation for a second dose.

“This shouldn’t have happened and I am sorry for the upset and upheaval this will have caused you and your families.

"I also recognise that you now have to attend again to get the vaccination and I hope that your experience on your recent visit has not put you off getting a second dose of vaccine.