Thread: No apology from Boris Johnson over Thatcher coal mine closures remark

No apology from Boris Johnson over Thatcher coal mine closures remark

Boris Johnson has declined to apologise amid a backlash over his remarks about coal mine closures under former premier Margaret Thatcher.

The PM has faced demands to say sorry after claiming the shutdowns in the 1980s gave the UK a "big early start" in fighting climate change.

Opposition MPs have called the comments offensive to former mining communities.

The PM's spokesman said he recognises the "huge impact and pain" of closures, but did not offer an apology.

Visiting a Scottish wind farm on Thursday, Mr Johnson told reporters: "Thanks to Margaret Thatcher, who closed so many coal mines across the country, we had a big early start and we're now moving rapidly away from coal altogether."

He is reported to have laughed and added: "I thought that would get you going."

Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said Mr Johnson's remarks were "crass and deeply insensitive" to mining communities.

She tweeted: "Lives and communities in Scotland were utterly devastated by Thatcher's destruction of the coal industry (which had zero to do with any concern she had for the planet)."

Labour's shadow foreign secretary Lisa Nandy had called for an apology on Thursday, calling the PM's comments "shameful".

Asked on Friday if the PM would be apologising for his words, his official spokesman said: "The prime minister recognises the huge impact and pain closing coal mines had in communities across the UK.

"This government has an ambitious plan to tackle the critical issue of climate change, which includes reducing reliance on coal and other non-renewable energy sources."

Shortly afterwards, Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer issued a statement repeating the party's demands for an apology, adding the remarks had shown Mr Johnson's "true colours".

"For Boris Johnson to laugh when talking about the closure of the coal mines is a slap in the face for communities still suffering from the devastating effects of Margaret Thatcher's callous actions," he added.

BORIS Johnson will not apologise for his remarks about the closure of coal mines, despite causing outrage.